Financial aid is available to qualified graduate students in several forms. Appointments are made on a competitive basis, and include tuition and partial fee waivers. Research assistantships are also available from the Illinois State Geological Survey and the Illinois State Water Survey, both located on our campus.

Department of Geology FellowshipsA generous number of fellowships are offered by the department each year, on a competitive basis, to outstanding candidates.  The recipient is free to pursue his/her own research without TA duties.  There are both full and partial fellowships available.

Teaching Assistantships: Students assist with instruction in laboratory, discussion sections, or as a grader in geology courses. Foreign students must pass the Test of Spoken English to be eligible for a Teaching Assistantship.

Research Assistantships: Students work with a research advisor on a project. These assistantships are offered by individual faculty members and the work may relate to the student's thesis, or may be on another subject.

University Fellowships: These fellowships are partly supported by the University and are highly prestigious and highly competitive. It is usually supplemented by a partial research assistantship.

Summer support: Student employment during the summer months is usually provided by individual faculty members through their research grants. Each faculty member sets the duration and level of summer support, but it is normally at the same rate as in the preceding academic year or higher. A limited number of teaching positions are available for assisting with summer courses, or with the Departmental field course (currently in Utah).

Other situations: Some students from overseas or industry are supported by their home country or their company. Some students receive a tuition waiver since they are employed by the Illinois State Geological Survey while they pursue a degree. In general, the Department does not admit students who have no support, and does not provide "tuition-waiver only" support.

For more information on Financial Aid and Fellowships visit the Graduate College.