I'm a postdoctoral researcher researching the physical properties of minerals to better understand the properties of the Earth's mantle. Through laser spectroscopy techniques I measure the sound speeds of minerals and glasses under both ambient conditions and at high pressure and temperature conditions using diamond anvil cells with laser heating. Such measurements can be compared to seismic profiles to assess the abundance of such mineral phases in the deep earth. General temperature dependence at high pressures also can help to infer lateral temperature/compositional heterogeneity in the mantle.
- B.S. Geology - University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- PhD Geology - University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Geology 100 -- Planet Earth Lab
- Geology 107 -- Physical Geology Lab
- Geology 143 -- History of Life
- Geology 432 -- Mineralogy and Mineral Optics Lab
- Geology 436 -- Petrology and Petrography Lab